Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Sandakan, Again.

My Mom is from Sandakan, Sabah and my big bro was born there in Hospital Duchess of Kent, where my grandma used to work. They used to live in the quarters nearby the TB ward and according to my Mom the placed wasn't as much as crowded during her younger days. But then, 4 or 5 years ago I think, the entire neighborhood was abolished together with the a village next to it and now, there's a highway cutting short through the place that used to be my Mom's neighborhood. Though there is only small area left but it'll eventually going to be cleaned out by the government and I have to say, it's a better place now.

Thanks to Musa Aman, I guess. Even though he's from there, the development of his own district is quite slow. Well, Sandakan has a long story of illegal immigrants and if you look at the city, boy. I'm thankful to be born and raised in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. But of course the city has the potential to be the next most busy place, I hope.

Anyway, the trip to Sandakan with my family recently was the shortest we made so far. Dad drove me and Mom from Papar, around 7 in the morning while my brothers were driving with our Toyota Veego at the back.

We stopped at Ranau for a quick lunch and I grabbed some fruits and though I know it's lame but that was the first time I bought fresh cherries! Awesome!

We arrived in Sandakan around 2 p.m. and first thing first, we stopped at Jambatan 88 nearby Sim Sim Road to have late lunch. As usual, the food's nice. Fresh prawns, y'all!

We checked in at the usual Tyng Garden Hotel and had a good rest for a bit. Around 5, Dad drove all of us  to my grandma's house at Batu Putih Village, at Mile 7. The place is nearby Musa Aman's multi-purpose hall, Dewan Libaran.

In the house, my uncle Ali and his wife with their 3 children, Dila, Diba, and Airul are staying with my grandma together with my eldest uncle Alias, while my uncle Tom and his wife with their 5 children are staying at Taman Mesra, Mile 4. My youngest uncle, Amin and his wife who came back from Seremban, Negeri Sembilan were there too.

The thing about my mom's sibling is, they are 10 of them and only half is still in Sabah. The eldest daughter, my mom's sister, Mak Long is currently staying in Bukit Mertajam, Penang, the sixth daughter, Aunt Bibah, is staying in Perlis with her husband and only daughter, the seventh daughter, Ibu is currently staying in Cheras, KL with her husband and only daughter, and the eighth daughter is staying with my Uncle Amin in Seremban. The fourth son, is staying in Tuaran, Sabah with his wife and his 4 children. Mom is the third daughter in the family.

We had a long conversation among each other. Exchanged stories and updating about each other's lives well, since I've been Gombak campus only for 3 months, I didn't really get the chance to visit any of them who're staying in Peninsular Malaysia.

We all except my big bro who decided to stay some more, (he and my uncle Amin are quite close) went back to hotel around 9 and stopped by at Champ's Bowl to have dinner. I ordered my favourite dish, Watan Kuey Teow or in KL we call it as Kuey Teow Kung Fu but the Kuey Teow isn't fried with egg and boiled instead.

The next day, we all went to my grandpa's graves, the first grandpa was my Dad's uncle who was also the father of mom's half brothers and sisters (the fifth child onwards). Then, we went down (yep, the area is filled with hills) to go to the second grandpa, my Mom's dad. After reading Yasin for both of them, pray for them, we all went back to the city. Well, it was around 1 p.m. so it's time to have lunch! Dad took me to my favourite place, Ikan Bakar stall at Sim Sim Road. The sambal was awesome!

We headed down to my grandma's place and stayed there until 5 p.m. Went back to hotel after that and around 7, Dad took us all to Ocean King's Seafood and had awesome dinner there. Another round of fresh prawns and steamed Kerapu fish with other dishes.

After the dinner, Dad drove me and Mom back to hotel while my bros went with Uncle Amin and his wife to Champ's Bowl to play bowling until midnight. Me? Nah... I'm done with bowling, lol.

The next day, Sunday! Dad went to the wet market with mom and my big bro early in the morning and I stayed in the hotel and packed things up! We checked out from hotel around 10 in the morning and headed down to Kota Kinabalu and arrived in Papar around 5 p.m.

We stopped at Kundasanf Penataran Cafe and had a Raya buffet and I went around for a bit and snapped few pictures.

Even though I was so damn exhausted with the trip and everything, I still managed to prepare the awesome and fresh steamed Bawal Putih with black pepper! Haha Fresh seafoods really gets me going!

Alright, I think that's all for now...

Signing out!

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment